Welcome to Civics Online with your host, Ms. Trisha Clay. In each episode, Trisha will discuss avoiding the common and even not-so-common pitfalls and challenges of researching and engaging civically online!
- How do you verify that a website is legitimate?
- How do you avoid false or inaccurate information?
- How do you keep yourself technically secure while you civically engage online?
Trisha will help you answer these questions and more in every episode!
Meet Trisha Clay!
Trisha is an information technologist and Chief Information Officer for Hudson County Community College in New Jersey. She serves on the EDUCAUSE Awareness and Training Working Group, focusing her attention on issues of equity and Information Security in Higher Education.
Twitter List of Digital and Information Literacy Experts
Our Civics Online Blog Posts
Many days the news that is thrown at us in the television media, print, and social media. How do you sort the facts from those stories that are working to mislead you? In this post, I will give you ju…
Welcome to Civics Online, I want to introduce you to basic resources for protecting yourself online. We will discuss the crossover in protecting your digital identity and information and recognizing g…
Links to Other Digital and Information Literacy Resources
- Learning about News, Media, and Political Literacy
- Infodemic.blog has a great, quick method for fact checking: https://infodemic.blog/
- CRAAP Test from Benedictine University: https://researchguides.ben.edu/source-evaluation
- Mike Caulfield’s site on Digital Literacy efforts: https://hapgood.us/
- Avoiding Coronavirus misinformation: https://infodemic.blog/
- Digital Polarization Initiative: https://adpaascu.wordpress.com/category/digital-polarization-initiative/
- A Starting Point, showing different political perspectives on issues of the day: https://www.astartingpoint.com/
- Recognizing Online Scams and Phishing from FTC: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/how-recognize-and-avoid-phishing-scams
- Resources for teaching students news literacy: https://get.checkology.org/
- Media and News
- Media Bias and Reliability chart: https://www.adfontesmedia.com/
- AllSides Media Bias Chart: https://www.allsides.com/media-bias/media-bias-chart
- News literacy for kids: https://www.commonsensemedia.org/blog/news-literacy-101
- Latest Scams and Threats:
- Fact-checking sites